Eating out is fun and sociable. Someone else chops the vegetables, prepares the meal and serves steamy hot food right at your table while you enjoy the time with your friends and family. But when we eat out, we tend to intake as much food in without even realizing that we are full. Eating out in a restaurant like Crown Fried Chicken in Brooklyn and eating healthy both seem to be contradictory activities. In fact, eating out is cited as a primary reason for an unhealthy lifestyle. Food prepared outside the home is generally high in calories and carbohydrates than what we make at home.
In this post, we will try to highlight top 5 smartest tricks to eating healthy while eating out. We believe that if you practice these tips whenever you go out to eat, you don’t have to regret. Instead, you are going to enjoy your meal order more and you’ll feel happy and satisfied when you’re done.
- Don’t be tempted by menu terms: Be smart about your menu choices. Any menu description that uses terms like creamy, crispy, breaded, sauced, or stuffed is likely to be high in calories. Also, labels like sugar-free, cholesterol-free and lite do not necessarily mean that a choice is healthy. It is common for restaurants like Crown Fried Chicken to use mouth-watering terms to describe their menus. Research shows that use of such terms help in increasing sales as well as can influence the way you think food will taste. Instead, look for foods that can be steamed, grilled, roasted or poached. Food prepared using these cooking methods is easy to digest and won’t make you feel heavy.
1. Tailor your meal:Don’t hesitate to ask the server (foodondeal) to make changes to the menu. When you order your meal, ask the server to replace fries or potatoes for veggies or a salad. In this way, you’ll boost your vegetable intake and at the same time cut your calories. Further, sauces and dressings add extra calories to a dish. Ask the server to serve them separately. In case the addition of sauce complements a dish, try to go for tomato-based sauce over creamy one.
- Eat Slowly: It takes 20 minutes for the brain to receive the message from the stomach that it is no longer hungry. Often, fast-eaters are overeaters while the ones who eat slowly tend to eat less and still feel satisfied. Take time to feel the aroma and flavors of dishes. Make it a habit not only when you dine out but also when you eat at home.
- Be mindful of how much you consume: When it comes to dining out, be mindful of how much you consume. By mindful eating, we mean making conscious food choices and paying full attention to the eating process. Studies have linked mindful eating with healthier food choices. When you eat your meal mindfully, you have more self-control and therefore you avoid overeating. Keep track of how much you eat and stick to the servings you have planned.
- Ask for half or one-third the portion: Usually, restaurants or fast-food near serve large portions, sometimes enough for two or three people. Try not to consume the complete serving. And instead, consider sharing it with other table members. If you have nobody to share with, you can ask the waiter to wrap up half your meal for you to take home.
Eating out can threaten individuals, especially those on the fad diet. Yet with planning and self-control, you can still enjoy your restaurant meal without abandoning healthy eating.
For a healthy meal, we recommend Crown Fried Chicken and Pizza in Brooklyn for you and you may also order online from foodondeal.com and enjoy your meal.